Re: [chrony-users] Chrony forgets servers (specified by FQDN) when no DNS server

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Stephen Satchell wrote:

On 12/20/2017 09:01 AM, Bill Unruh wrote:
No idea if it will work, but you could put the IP address in instead of names
for your servers-- that way no dns is needed.

I have longstanding arrangements with several NTP time sources. For those sources, those that don't do load-sharing with DNS, I have manually resolved the FQDN and put the IP address in the config file.

For [0-3].centos.pool.ntp.org I have left them defined by their FQDN -- so if chrony(8) "forgets" them, I still have my GPS NTP box plus four external sources for time synchronization.

IF your gps is also PPS, then it will be the only source carrying the time
setting anyway, because it is so much more accurate than any of the external
sources. If it is only NMEA then it will be a backup, since the network
sources will be more accurate. It is not clear to me why you need 8 network
sources. (four pool and four static IP sources).