Re: [chrony-users] ntpd refclock drivers with chrony

Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 07:20:10PM +0100, Rob Janssen wrote:
Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
There is a new wrapper for refclock drivers implemented in ntpd, which
should allow chronyd to use any refclock supported by ntpd.
The examples al refer to gps but this should work with refclock 8 (parse) too, right?
I have a DCF77 receiver connected to a serial port that I used with ntpd and is not supported in chrony.
Yes, all drivers should work, at least in theory. I have not tested
the PARSE driver. If you try it, please let me know how it works. The
SOCK refclock probably should be configured with "poll 6 filter 1", as
there is only one sample per minute.

It logs this message regularly:

ntp-refclock[13791]: PARSE receiver #0: local_receive: bad size (got 1 expected 480)

also it sometimes logs:

ntp-refclock[13791]: parse: convert_rawdcf: INCOMPLETE DATA - time code only has 37 bits

which is quite normal for this refclock, it happens when a pulse is missing due to interference.

I have also got this message:

ntp-refclock[12400]: parse: convert_rawdcf: start bit / parity check FAILED for "--##---##-#-#--R---Ls12--1-4p1-----P1---1-1-4-2---1248-2--p?"

That is another receiver error indication and it would seem to indicate that things are at least partially working.
My DCF77 reception is not very solid (also wasn't with ntpd) so a bit too early to say it does not work at all.

Rob