Re: [chrony-users] rtc is not being updated

On 21.11.2017, at 07:39, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:26:55PM +0100, Gernot Nusshall wrote:
Hi,

i am not sure if i am experiencing a problem with chrony or the linux kernel.
I want the rtc to be updated with the 11-minute-mode of the linux kernel initiated with the chrony option „rtcsync“.
I was expecting that the rtc is getting updated because the adjtimex output set by chrony seems correct and the kernel config options are also set correctly,
is there anything that i am missing?

The adjtimex --print output shows STA_UNSYNC, but the strace output
shows that it is cleared later, so it should work as expected. It
might be a kernel issue. What kernel version and what architecture is
this?
root:~# uname -a
Linux test 4.9.51 #19854 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 10 12:24:28 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root:~# dpkg -l | grep chrony
ii  chrony                          3.0-4+deb9u1                   amd64        Versatile implementation of the Network Time Protocol
Beside the CONFIG_RTC_SYSTOHC option there is also
CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE, which I think is used on x86_64.
CONFIG_RTC_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTC_MC146818_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"
CONFIG_RTC_SYSTOHC=y
CONFIG_RTC_SYSTOHC_DEVICE="rtc0"
CONFIG_RTC_DRV_RV8803=y
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CMOS is not set

We have two rtc on our board and only one of them is battery backed. In order to work properly we had to disable the non-battery rtc with CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CMOS and enable the battery-backed rtc explicitly with CONFIG_RTC_DRV_RV8803=y

thank you!