[no subject]

> after 13 hours, it would take about 5 minutes to wander 20us?

Not it would not. chrony has measured it, and it is not that much.

> I would think it is a best-case calculation as it assumes a linear drift in
> one direction.
> I practice it will probably wobble, and take less than 5 minutes to wander
> 20us.

> Please note we are talking MICROseconds here.  Not MILLIseconds.  I don't
> think
> many standard systems will remain within 20us for several hours if left
> without sync.
> (it would likely require some TCXO clock option)

Sure they could. If the temp is constant, as you claim, that is main cause of
changes in drift rate.

>>> The Span indicated by sourcestats is 79 for the PPS source now, and 103m
>>> for
>>> the network sources.
>>> Would that mean it drops the PPS after 79 seconds?  That would be fine.
>>
>> No. You really need to think through what you want and what the time on
>> your
>> server machine delivers. After all if the computer clock in your local
>> machine
>> was and exact track of UTC always to atto seconds, and you used the GPS
>> only
>> to make determine the intial offset determination then it would be silly to
>> throw away that source just because the pps had not been heard from.
>
> We are not interested in "time that is likely a good estimation". We require
> accurate time and if

I am sorry, but nothing will give you "accurate time" Not even GPS. What it
can give you is an estimate of the time and the accuracy of that estimate.

> we do not have it, or do not have certainty about it, we need to shutdown our
> application.
> So we require some monitoring.  Of course I can add monitoring of "sources"
> or "sourcestats"
> to the monitoring of "tracking" that we currently do, and alert when "Reach"
> of the PPS
> clock is zero.  That is probably our quickest solution.  However, I would
> have expected this
> error condition (missing PPS pulses) to be somehow reflected in the
> "tracking" output.

Why?