Re: [chrony-users] Re: Locking PPS refclock with NTP source

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 05:18:08PM +0200, Thibaut BEYLER wrote:
> I'm trying to synchronise chrony with a pps signal coming from a bnc output
> on a gps timeserver.
>
> The pulses seems to arrive properly according to ppstest, but i don't
> figure out how to combine this pulse with a ntp time source to complete the
> samples (according to the documentation, it seems to be possible)
>
> All the exemples i see on the Internet use NMEA (which i don't think I have
> out of my pps output) or another reference clock, any way to do that ?

The lock option can work only with other reference clocks. With an NTP
source you wouldn't specify the option, e.g.

server foo.example.com iburst
refclock PPS /dev/pps0

After start, chronyd will synchronize the clock to the NTP server.
This will allow the PPS refclock to complete the pulses and then it
can take over as the main time source for synchronization of the
system clock.