Re: [chrony-users] Root delay and Root dispersion values in `chronyc ntpdata'

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 04:53:28PM +0300, Horia Muntean wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, I think that could work. I'm wondering if it would make sense to
> > add root delay and dispersion to the tracking log.
>
> It would make sense if one wants to easily compute the estimated error
> right from an existing log.
> It can be computed from measurements.log but you must join it with
> tracking.log anyway so see what's the current source.
> More, if the source is a reference clock measurements.log will not help at all.

Ok. I agree it could be useful.

Do you think it would be better to write there the delay and
dispersion as was estimated right before the update of the clock to
get the maximum value of dispersion, or rather use the new values from
the update, assuming the user will calculate the amount of dispersion
that accumulated till the next update?