Re: [chrony-users] Possible to get sub-millisecond accuracy?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 07:50:07AM -0400, Chris Perl wrote:
> I have played around with chrony 3.1 on both CentOS 6.8 and CentOS 7.3
> (built myself) and both were missing kernel features necessary to allow the
> hardware timestamping to work (I believe in 6 it was lack of
> `SO_SELECT_ERR_QUEUE' and `SOF_TIMESTAMPING_OPT_CMSG', but in 7 it was just
> the latter).

I doubt they will be added in 6, but 7.4 should have the OPT_CMSG
option. Some minor changes in the chrony code will still be necessary
in order to enable HW timestamping.

Here is a copr repo for Fedora and CentOS 7 which has a patch to
enable HW timestamping.
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mlichvar/chrony/

It works even with <7.4 kernels if there is only one interface which
supports HW timestamping as SOF_TIMESTAMPING_OPT_CMSG is not required
in such case.