Re: [chrony-users] Massive difference between NTP clocks and PHC

Thank you very much everyone.

I have almost figured it out.

The first problem was that there was a typo in the network address of the PTP port. PTP packets still arrived but it somehow made the system unhappy.

The second thing was that the configuration of ptp4l had some kind of a problem. After I started using linuxptp to configure both chrony and ptp4l thought it - it became much better.

I see that "linuxptp" has configured chrony to connect to PTP0 (shared memory segment) rather that PHC0 (direct connection to a PHC clock). I wonder if that makes any real difference.

So now it looks clean.

The only unknown is whether I should add some kind of static offset as while PTP measures the time at the card quite precisely, there is still some delay for getting time from that clock on the card over PCIE express and a shared memory segment and then to RTC clock. I guess it would be on a scale of microseconds.

With kind regards,
Denys Rtveliashvili