[chrony-users] Pros and Cons of acquisitionport directive

I have been observing chronyd with a profiler (Apple Instruments - gui to dtrace) and noticed that open/close operations on the client sockets was responsible for 80% of the time used. It seems to take the kernel a while to cleanup a socket on close.

I have specified acquisitionport in the config and resource use is significantly better.

What are the disadvantages of using a non-random port? Security is my first guess (i.e. I have opened up a listening port for use as an attack surface) but are there any other disadvantages?

--
Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx