Re: [chrony-users] DNS RR and chrony

The CSV format looks great, I also tested the randomization which works well.

The -v help output does't match the CSV, but that's a minor nit-pick. :)

Thanks for looking into this.  I'm still interested in writing a chrony client in Go or Python so I can create a fully integrated metrics exporter..

- Ben Kochie

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:51:49PM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 04:18:36PM +0100, Ben Kochie wrote:
> > The end result here is that getaddrinfo() always sorts the output of IPv4
> > results and chrony will pick the first N in that list.  For example I have
> > a DNS record internally that has 8 servers, and I have chrony pick 4.
> > Every node has the same identical 4 node list instead of a random sampling
> > of the 4.

> In order to fix that, I guess we need to either modify the hash
> function to include some random variable initialized on start to make
> the hashing random, or schedule the first poll of the sources in a
> random order.

The randomization of sources in the hash table is now implemented in
git if you would like to try it.

Also, chronyc now has a -c option to print reports in a CSV format,
all values in the same units. It should be much easier to parse if
anyone still needs to do that.