Re: [chrony-users] chrony configuration help (please)

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 08:50:16AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> In this context might there be an option for chrony to take the intial time
> when starting up from the date and time on some file. eg --startfile
> <nameoffile>
> If that directive is there then chrony would use the  mtime (plus say 60 sec)  from that file as the
> startup file if the rtc time does not exist, or if the rtc time is earlier
> than that mtime. That would solve the problem of an insanely early rtc time or
> no rtc at all (rPi for example) and give a time which is at least not totally
> crazy.

When chronyd is started with the -s option and there is no RTC, it
will set the system clock to the mtime of the driftfile if it's in
future. Doing that always, even when there is a working RTC, is an
interesting idea. The question is do we trust more the RTC or the
system clock when chronyd previously saved the driftfile?