Re: [chrony-users] Automotive usage of chronyd

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015, Bill Unruh wrote:

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015, Olivier Delbeke wrote:

I made a first test in a near worst-case scenario : system without RTC and without network, but with only a USB GPS sensor (without PPS). Time/date after boot is Jan 1, 1970, 00:00:00. I send the timestamps of the GPS sensor to chronyd (over a socket), but chronyd rejects them. Even if I use the first GPS timestamp to force the system time, the subsequent timestamps are still rejected by chronyd ("refclock sample not valid age=-0.41" from refclock.c - valid_sample_time())). What is the condition for a valid sample ? I can understand that samples are rejected, but the "< 0.0" conditions looks like the drift is
only allowed in one direction. Is that right ?

Well, time does only flow in one direction. Why would the next sample be
earlier than the first from a GPS? GPS time is unidirectional.

I suppose what could be happening is that chrony is picking up the the first
report very late and that you have a time offset on the pulses, so the first
pulse time  being read by chrony just before the next time comes in. It might
be an idea to discard the very first pulse time, and start with the second
one.

Thank you very much,

Olivier