Re: [chrony-users] Isolated time domains

On 03/12/2013 01:16, Bill Unruh wrote:
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:

On 03/12/2013 00:58, Bill Unruh wrote:

> > In my test setup I have the master server's clock set back about 3 hours > and Chrony appears to be working great and is moving time towards what > is reported by the external NTP servers:

Why? Is this a rediculous test? Why would you expect the master server to
 be 3
 hours out?
Bill,

I typically find testing the potentially unexpected to be a fairly worthwhile use of my time, certainly in critical systems.

So, if for some reason your master were suddenly out by 3 hours, you would want all of the clients to also be out by 3 hours, and to play catchup with the master (the clients would all lag, depending on their poll intervals and times because the master is racing along with a huge (>>500PPM) drift rate trying to fix its own offset. Your scenario would have the clients far more scattered in time than if they were all discplined to UTC all along.

What error scenario do youhave in mind where the master could suddenly find
itself out by 3 hours?

You know, it's the unforeseen circumstances I like to prepare for. It's all well and good having some little list of scenarios that you know you can handle, but I prefer to have as robust a solution as I can, so that when the unexpected happens I have the greatest chance of recovery.

YMMV I suppose...

Tom