Re: [chrony-users] Interop with NTP version 1 and 4 clients

So, my suspicion is that the software is very badly written. It looks for the
ntp V4 in the packet and rejects it if it is not there, even though ntpV4
packets are supposed to be the same as V3 (backward compatible).

a) complain to the phone software writers.

b) have chrony put in a fake V4 flag into the packet so as to fool the broken
phone software.

As written chrony accepts V2-V4 packets. It reports V3 because its analysis is
closest to v3 ( but still pretty far away). It does not deliver Kiss of Death
packets (V4)