Re: [chrony-users] hostnames vs. IP address in chrony.conf

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:

On 31/10/2012 13:03, Ed W wrote:
 On 31/10/2012 10:36, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:
>  On 31/10/2012 10:35, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> >  On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:14:01AM +0000, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:
> > >  Again, chrony doesn't need the TTL. Caching is handled by the
> > >  resolver.
> > >  getaddrinfo() blocking is a more concrete problem to solve - good
> > >  spot.
> >  I don't think getaddrinfo() does any caching, that has to be done in
> >  nscd or a local DNS server.
> > > I didn't claim otherwise! > > Tom

 Then you need to be very careful that millions of routers out there don't
 suddenly start issuing DNS requests every few seconds because someone
 upgraded a firmware to include this new version of chrony and didn't
 notice the change in behaviour (not all chinese/taiwanese router board
 builders will read the english release notes...)

 Remember unlike windows its much more normal to not have any dns caching
 on linux and rely on the nearest upstream (hopefully inside your
 infrastructure)

 I see that this is a very dangerous change.

 Is it feasible for you to simply patch your own local chrony builds and
 use those to meet your requirement?

 Ed

So we're concluding that chrony as an application will never be able to use the Domain Name System properly? That seems like an incredible design hole if we are to be able to provide domain names in the config at all.

You are driving yourself over a cliff. chrony uses dns properly for its
purposes at the beginning of its run. You have been refusing to listen to the
problems. You are of course free to write your own implimentation of the ntp
protocol. or even to fork chrony if you wish. Do not expect anyone to use
yours.

Tom