[chrony-users] /dev/pps0 not being blocked? Magic?!

Me again...

If chrony is tracking /dev/pps0 as a refclock, does it keep this device open persistently? Or does it close and re-open it for every poll? Reason I ask is that a separate process is seemingly still able to `open("/dev/pps0", O_ACCMODE)` and even block on pulses with `ioctl` whilst chrony is tracking the same source. Even if locks are not being used in one or both processes, I'm concerned that under certain conditions one could starve the other of data? Or is my understanding of this LinuxPPS device incorrect?

Thanks
Tom