Re: [chrony-users] Starting Chronyd as online

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, Bill Unruh wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Paul Menzel wrote:

 Dear Bill,

 I am sorry for not being clear.

 Am Sonntag, den 01.07.2012, 22:55 -0700 schrieb Bill Unruh:
>  On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Paul Menzel wrote:

> >  is there a way to start Chronyd as online with an option?
> >  Chronyc.
> > No idea what you mean of why having chronyd "online" ( O assume not > detached > as a daemon) would help. You would still need to run chronyc to pass > commands
>  to the running daemon, and would have to read the password file to send
> certain commands. And how it would simplify init.d scripts I have no > idea. > Perhaps if you told us the problem, rather than the solution, we could > be more
>  helpful.

 Currently starting Chronyd and executing `activity` in Chronyc all
 sources (NTP servers) are listed as offline. The command `online` has to
 be executed to get those online. I would like to start Chronyd, so that
 all sources are online right away.

OK, it should not do that if your network is up and you have not told it to
put them all offline in /etc/chrony.conf.

a) check chrony.conf to see if it is telling chrony to put the sources
offline. If chrony.conf is doing that remove the offline keywords in
chorny.conf.

b) Is your network up when chrony comes up? If you have to have chrony start
before the network comes up, then you could put in an init.d script to restart
chronyd after the network is up

Actually cancel b) Even if the network is down when chrony starts the sources
should come up and be online when the network comes up. At least it does that
on my laptop, where I have to connect to the network well after chronyd comes
up. Perhaps you should post your chrony.conf file and tell us which version of
chrony you are running.

 Thanks,

 Paul