Re: [chrony-users] chronyd: Can' Synchronize WHY ?

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 06:35:34AM +0000, thomas.schmid@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > ^x <WAN-IP1>                        1    6     49    +13us[ -877us]
> > +/- 1148us
> > > ^x <WAN-IP2>                        2    6     46   +192ms[ +192ms]
> > +/-   56ms
> >
> > Yee gads, that's pretty horrible, except for wanIP1
> > IP2 seems really really far away. Why is it taking so long?
> <WAN-IP1> is connected by a 7 Mbps WAN connection, 2 LAN and 1 WAN-hop away.
> <WAN-IP2>: The intermediate NTP server (WinXP+Meinberg ntpd) sits in the same
> LAN; however the WinXP is a virtual machine running on VMware Server 1.0.10.
> Note: I know it's a big NO NO to run NTP servers out of (VMware) virtual machines,

The intervals for the two sources don't overlap, and there is no third
source which would overlap one of the two, so chrony gives up on them.

If you want to keep the WAN-IP2 source as a backup, you can try to
increase its stratum by the minstratum option.

> > > ^x SU-Server1.<domain>       0    7    10y     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-
> > 0ns
> > > ^x LU-Server.<domain>         0    7    10y     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-
> > 0ns
> >
> > Well something is certainly screwed up there. This says that the last
> > measurement was 10 years ago. Also while this says it is 0 ns jitter,
> > below it
> > says it is 4000ms jitter.
> > Something is seriously messed up here

These are just the default values when no samples were collected yet.

> > You only have two servers, the WAN servers, and they disagree on what
> > the
> > right time is. Chrony has no idea which one to believe, since there are
> > only
> > two of them (whichis why you should have an odd number.)
> Hm, even if I have 3 valid NTP servers (setup with a valid <WAN-IP1>,
> <WAN-IP2> and "SU-Server3") I see the "can't synchronize" message a lot.

Is stratum for the third server 3 or higher? The sources output might
help.

---