Re: [chrony-users] chrony: Use of RTC trimming together with ntpdate: A Bad Thing ?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, thomas.schmid@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

Due to the nature of my systems, I need to use a separate system-time-setting tool besides a time keeping
daemon, because my boot up looks like this:
1. Add temporary route

Why not run chrony instead with a small initstep.

2. run ntpdate to defined server
3. Remove temporary route
4. Start chronyd (with RTC trimming + restoring)

??? You say you have already set up the system time using ntpdate. Why would
you want to then use the rtc?

5. Start real routing services

The helper route for the initial time update (which can be very large) needs to go away before the "real" routing
services start, because this would interfere with the whole systems operation.

Fine, so pull it down. The only thing you would need is to tell chrony (using
chronyc) to put the remote servers online.

But I am confused. You have an rtc. Why not use it to define the intial system
time rather than using ntpdate? That is what it is for.

So, please: can ntpdate be used in conjunction with chrony and RTC trimming ? Special configuration needed ?

ntpdate is a program to set your system clock in a one shot basis from a
remote server. rtc is a way to set your system clock with the onboard clock.
Why would you want to set your system clock from both?

Note: Sorry if this is daft question but I need to be sure on this, so ask the experts :-)

Asking is fine. I am just confused as to what the question is.

Thanks,
Thomas Schmid

---

---