Re: [chrony-users] Chrony 1.26 public server available - please try ...

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 07:28:40PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Hi, I have made available a public server with dns name:
> 	ntp1.nippynetworks.com
> 	(at some point there will be a matched pair: ntp2.)

Cool.

> I want to give it a bit of a workout with a view to adding it to the
> public ntp pool (if they will take it)

I think that would be the first chrony server in the pool. I'm
following the pool mailing list and I'm interested to see what their
response will be.

> Grateful for any comments on security, configuration, accuracy or any
> other features of note... If it's useful, then please feel free to make
> use of it.

It seems to work well from here. The network delay seems to be a bit
noisy, I see some spikes over 100ms in the measurements log, but that
could be the heavily overloaded network line here.

How do your sources and sourcestats outputs look?

How will you deal with abusive clients? Chrony doesn't have client
monitoring that would make it easier, you'll probably need some
iptables magic to detect and block them.

Also, any plans on a web page with some nice rrdtool graphs generated
from chrony logs? :-)

> P.S.  Can we call it chrony 2.0 yet?

There are still some features like NTPv4 support or clock combining
that I think would be good to have before making a major version bump.

---