Re: [chrony-users] gpsd, pps and chrony

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Ed W wrote:

On 15/03/2011 09:07, Damien R wrote:
Hi,

I want to use chrony to synchronize the system clock between two
computers (with no connection between them), each equipped with a gps
(gps emmit a pps).
The computers can run during about 5-8 hours and the gps signal can be
lost. The goal is to achieve the best clock's synchronization between
both computers.

While looking for something else I came across this fun device:

http://proto-pic.co.uk/products/ChronoDot-%252d-Ultra%252dprecise-Real-Time-Clock.html

Basically an ultraprecise temp corrected clock module (with I2C interface)

This replaces the RTC not the timing system clock. Also, it claims a precision
of minute per year ("the ChronoDot will drift less than a minute per year"). That would indicate a drift rate of about 2 PPM which is good for an rtc, but not really
 "ultra precise" on the chrony/ntp scale of things.

That plus chrony would give you a very accurate setup?

chrony would give you very good precision while the system was running. This
module would give quite good precision while the system was powered down.

Good luck

Ed W

---

---