From: Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2024 10:02 AM
To: chrony-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [chrony-dev] timex kernel offset parameter not updated

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 08:35:43AM +0000, Filip Verwee wrote:
> Hi Miroslav,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Even if chronyd is not using the kernel PLL, wouldn't it be still possible to update the offset parameter?

No, the offset can be set only when the PLL is enabled. In the kernel code (kernel/time/ntp.c):

static void ntp_update_offset(long offset) {
	s64 freq_adj;
	s64 offset64;
	long secs;

	if (!(time_status & STA_PLL))
		return;

Even if it could be set and it did nothing except being reported back in timex, chronyd would need to update it periodically to be useful.
I don't think that would be acceptable as chronyd is supposed to be friendly to power saving.