Re: [chrony-dev] Adding information to tracking

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 06:07:04PM -0400, Jonathan Sanabria wrote:
> In my current monitor for steps we would have to track the machine's system
> time and check for jumps like that, though parsing the tracking information
> would be much safer and direct.

Why not check the system log for the "System clock was stepped"
message?

If the last step was reported in tracking, you wouldn't know if there
wasn't a bigger step since the previous chronyc tracking call as steps
can happen in quick succession if there are changes in the source
selection.

Also, it's not very clear to me why you care about steps but not
larger slews. If you need to know if the maximum estimated error of
the clock is below a specific value, you should be monitoring the last
field in the tracking.log file.