Re: [chrony-dev] Support for Multiple PPS Inputs on single PHC

On 2/23/23 4:19 PM, Richard Cochran wrote:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 12:56:34PM -0800, Matt Corallo wrote:

There's two separate questions here - multiple readers receiving the same
data, and multiple readers receiving data exclusively about one channel.

I'd imagine the second is (much?) easier to implement, whereas the first is a bunch of complexity.

This second idea would require a new API, so that user could select a
particular channel.

First idea would only change kernel behavior without changing the API.

Fair point. I figured a new IOCTL to filter was a lighter lift, even if a bunch of boilerplate to define it.

I'm happy to take a crack at something to get the ball rolling, though not this week. I'm sure I could copy+paste to make a new IOCTL work, but adding relevant queue limiting means I have to go read much more kernel code to figure out which datastructures already exist there :).

It sounds like I should go replace the extts queue with a circular buffer, have every reader socket store an index in the buffer, and new sockets read only futures pulses? I assume a new pulse already wakes all select()ers on the sockets so nothing would need to change there. Is there some existing code somewhere I should crib off of or just run and see where I get?

Thanks,
Matt