Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git annotated tag 3.5.1 created. 3.5.1

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 03:42:17PM +0200, Vincent Blut wrote:
> True! But some admins/users may have overridden the default PID file
> location where the _chrony system user have write access. If so, let’s
> protect them from this vulnerability.

If they changed the pidfile, wouldn't they need to also override the
packaged systemd unit file? Maybe people do that. I don't know.

There are plenty of other ways how chronyd (or another service in
general) can be misconfigured and break the system, or cause a
security issue. It's not possible to prevent them all. If someone
changes a packaged setting to an undocumented value, I think there is
an expectation that they need to know what they are doing. I changed
the default, which broke an assumption about the unprivileged chrony
user on all systems following the recommended configuration. That was
an issue that had to be fixed.