[chrony-dev] IPv6 link-local support

Hi folks,

I work on the AWS Time Sync (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/set-time.html) service. We create a link-local IPv4 address (169.254.169.123) that can be used as a source server for NTP daemons on EC2 instances. The future is IPv6, so we’re evaluating all of the clients and our current options. We will be using IPv6 link-local addresses.

The Amazon Linux 2 OS distribution, which many AWS customers use, installs and runs chrony by default. We would prefer to continue to use chrony as the default option since it benefits our customers. AWS customers can bring their own machine image, but if they want to use Time Sync they will still need to use a link-local IPv6 address. Today, chrony does not support IPv6 link-local. I saw there was a previous ask - https://www.mail-archive.com/chrony-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02086.html - so I don’t think we’re the only chrony user that wants this capability. Other NTP clients, such as ntpd, do support IPv6 over link local addresses.

This would support all AWS customers, so I’m asking on their behalf as well.

What is the work required to Chrony to support IPv6 link-local so customers can continue using Chrony instead of switching to an alternative? What are the next steps?

Thanks,

Nathan