Re: [chrony-dev] Experimental NTS support

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 05:03:52PM -0400, Watson Ladd wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:19 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Right. We would need to relicense the code. That would require consent
> > from Richard Curnow and all the contributors. If someone thought it
> > was realistic and wanted to do all the work, I'd not be against it.
>
> I've only found 14 contributors from grepping for copyright
> statements, but there may be more.

The number of authors from the git log is about 34 (some authors have
used slightly different names). When I update the copyright years in
the files before a final release, I try to ignore changes with fewer
than 10 lines of code. This is, or at least was at some point, a
recommended pratice. I don't know if the same rule can be applied to
relicensing.

> If we do do this GPL v3 or later might be worthwhile so we don't need
> to do it in the future.

Is GPLv4 going to be a thing? I think people might prefer
a GPLv2->GPLv3-only switch over GPLv2->GPLv3+ to avoid uncertainty.