Re: [chrony-dev] Experimental NTS support

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020, Watson Ladd wrote:

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:19 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 01:27:03AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 12:21:41AM +0200, Vincent Blut wrote:
I must admit CVE-2020-13777 [1] has cooled me down a lot about GnuTLS.
OpenSSL 3.0 (currently in alpha stage) will use the Apache License 2.0 which
isn’t compatible with the GPLv2. Sigh, what a mess!

Remember GPL3 is not compatible with GPL2.

Right. We would need to relicense the code. That would require consent
from Richard Curnow and all the contributors. If someone thought it
was realistic and wanted to do all the work, I'd not be against it.

I've only found 14 contributors from grepping for copyright
statements, but there may be more. I think this is feasible, although
there may be other reasons why Boring/OpenSSL support isn't a
priority.

If we do do this GPL v3 or later might be worthwhile so we don't need
to do it in the future.

GPL3 is incompatible with GPL2. They you would have to get everyone's
permission to use 3, and there are some (eg Linus Torvald) who refuse to touch
GPL3 with a 10 foot (3m) pole. There is no way that GPL2 is going away.

"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
--Rousseau.