Re: [chrony-dev] New online/offline command

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 04:06:31PM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> First of all I'll like the simplification - so thanks for working on this.
> Is the expected usage then an unconditional call (no ip's or such) and
> chrony will sort out those that apply

Yes. There should be no need to work with individual addresses (e.g.
parse the output of the "sources" command).

> offline [address], offline [masked-address/masked-bits], offline
> [mask/masked-address], unreachable
> online [address], online [masked-address/masked-bits], online
> [mask/masked-address], reachable
>
> Would that match how you had in mind they'd work?

I was thinking about a single command doing both "offline unreachable"
and "online reachable" at the same time. Would it be useful to have
two separate commands instead?

No I'm fine with a single command.
If it is low on cpu consumption and fast.
We have to consider that in some environments  you might have plenty (really a lot) of changes ongoing.
And you might get a notification for each of them.

I think a single command is good, but please coalesce and group and incoming requests.
That allows you to take some time to check routes, but not fear piling up a hoard of requests.

The term (un)reachable might be slightly confusing here, because it
already has some meaning in NTP (a source which responded at least
once to the last 8 requests).

ok sorry for that, skip reachable :-)

With just one command neither Stephens nor my suggestion make sense.
How about just "probe" then?

Also, we should be careful with extending the syntax. If someone used
the command to take online/offline a server named "reachable", the new
command would do something else than before. The keyword would need to
include a character which is not valid in hostnames.

Ack, special chars are horror, I do not want to nor suggest to go this way :-)