Re: [chrony-dev] "leapsectz" and leapsecond announce (was:refclock: Add a new "tai" option)

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:31:13AM +0200, FUSTE Emmanuel wrote:
> One side question about "leapsectz" option: Does the use of the option
> imply ignoring leap announcements from other ntp servers or sources ?
> Which would imply that the timezone database MUST be maintained up to
> date to honor any future leap ?
>
> Or leap announcement is taken into account but utc-tai offset lost in
> case of a restart ?
>
> In any case, a little add to clarify this point would be great in the
> "leapsectz" option documentation.

Good questions. I'll add the following to the documentation:

  The specified timezone is not used as an exclusive source of
  information about leap seconds. If a majority of time sources
  announce on the last day of June or December that a leap second
  should be inserted or deleted, *chronyd* will accept it even if it
  is not included in the timezone.

The TAI-UTC offset of the system clock will be wrong if the timezone
is missing a (genuine) leap second. If it is a fake leap second, the
clock will be twice (wrongly) corrected by one second.