Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git branch, master, updated. 2.4-9-g6cd5583

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 08:32:16AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
One really weird effect I found was that I have one machine connected to a
Sure GPS, which seems to have quite a large fluctuation. (or for which the
interrupt processing seems to have a large fluctuation-- impossible to figure
out which of course.) but a few times this week, for hours at a time ( 3-6
hrs) the GPS time seems to be much smoother (the fluctuations in slope are
much less) and at the same time, the delay times to the other machines are
smaller, and no longer bimodal. (the delay time seems to have two clumps
aroung 16us and 24us-- see for example boson in the graphs-- the lower graph
is the offset(blue)  and the delay(pink) Note that the transition to bimodal
is at the same time as the GPS slope becomes much noisier (info is the gps
driven one-- using the serial port interrupt with the Linux serial port driver. )
The only thing I could imagine is that there is something messing with the
interupts which affects both the serial port interrupts and the network card
interrups at the same time.  Anyone seen anything like this befoe?

Was there a CPU intensive task running on the server in those
intervals? CPU needs more time to wake up from deep power-saving
states, so this might have an effect on accuracy of timestamping of
both NIC and PPS interrupts. On some machines, I can see offset of NTP
sources jump by few tens of microseconds when I start a program that
fully loads the CPU.

Nope, not that I know of. The times were at night (the times are in UTC) but
extend into the day-- eg the first quiet time is from about 10AM UTC to 11PM
UTc(which is 7 hours ahead of my time) on Jun 28 then from 6AM to 6PM on the
29. Ie it is not periodic and there was nothing untoward going on at that
time. And you canclearly see the bimodal pattern on the scatter plots at the bottom of the page. Oh, I realise I did not give the page
www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/chrony/chrony.html