[chrony-dev] What is actually being done in "make check" for 113-leapsecond?

At SUSE, we use the Open Build Service (OBS) to build and package our software.  I'm experiencing an issue with the OBS during "make check" processing.  The 113-leapsecond test fails, which does not happen when I build it elsewhere.  To be able to explain to our OBS support team just what's going on so we can investigate this problem, could someone tell me what all is being done during that test?  The following is the output I get when the failure happens:
113-leapsecond (22/31)
Testing leap second:
  network with 1*1 servers and 1 clients:
    non-default settings:
      client_conf=leapsecmode system
      limit=345600
      max_sync_time=172800
      refclock_jitter=1e-9
      refclock_offset=(* -1.0 (equal 0.1 (max (sum 1.0) 172800) 172800))
      server_conf=refclock SHM 0 dpoll 10 poll 10 leapsectz right/UTC
    starting node 1:                                           OK
    starting node 2:                                           OK
    running simulation:                                        OK
    checking chronyd exit:
      node 1:                                                  OK
      node 2:                                                  OK
    checking source selection:
      node 2:                                                  OK
    checking mean/min incoming/outgoing packet interval:
      node 1: 5.75e+02 5.75e+02 6.38e+01 6.38e+01              OK
      node 2: 5.75e+02 5.75e+02 6.38e+01 6.38e+01              OK
    checking clock sync time, max/rms time/freq error:
      node 2: 174364 1.00e+00 5.09e-02 8.27e-02 4.40e-04       BAD
FAIL

Beyond understanding what's going on, it would also be nice to know if there is any way to perform just that one single test for debugging purposes.

Thanks,

Mark Post