Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git branch, master, updated. 2.1.1-89-g3cd32ed

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:07:46AM +0000, Adri Koppes wrote:
> > > I use initstepslew instead of makestep, but I guess the result would be the
> > same.
> >
> > Yes, that should be the same. The difference with initstepslew is that the
> > servers are used only on start. If they are the same servers as specified with
> > the server or pool directive, the statistics are thrown away needlessly.
>
> So it's probably better to use makestep, if the servers are the same or a subset?

Yes. initstepslew is useful only if you need to make the initial sync with
different servers than normally used, or maybe use a different step
threshold for the first clock update than what is specified with
makestep. initstepslew was implemented before makestep and it used to
be a separate minimalistic NTP client inside chronyd that was used
just for the initial step or slew.

> I just recompiled and instaled the latest version from git.

Great. Let us know if you see anything suspicious. If you want to test
the fast slewing mode, you will need to step the clock by at least one
second from the true time.