Re: [chrony-dev] chronyd not recovering after time stepped.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 08:32:13PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> So what is "significantly different"? In the case I saw, the interval went up to 2 hours and that is clearly far too long to wait when the new value is probably less then 10 seconds.

Restarting to a longer interval doesn't seem useful, so significantly
shorter, as you suggest below, makes sense to me.

> Maybe we should only interrupt the current cycle if current / new > (default / minimum) && current > 60 secs.
>
> Hopefully spikes do not occur frequently (there would be more fundamental problems if they are frequent) and I think 60 secs is not a long time to wait for the current cycle to complete at which time the new drift would be applied.

60 seconds could still be long relative to extremely short polling
intevals like 1 second with NTP or sub-second with refclocks.

default / minimum is 8. I think that would be ok, but I'd suggest to
add a new constant for that.

> Also - what caveats are there in stopping a scheduled event? Is it safe to call SCH_RemoveTimeout() at any time?

At any time except from the timeout handler itself.