Re: [chrony-dev] Slow bootup with git

On 17/04/2012 17:07, Bill Unruh wrote:
Why not do the hwclock stuff (it is not clear to me that the hwclock is not more accurate than chrony at estimating the rate error of the rtc nowadays)

I wanted to make use of the estimated drift feature of chrony, ie estimating what the real time is based on RTC + drift. I don't believe I can get that from hwclock?

My application will be highly disconnected, so whilst I assume my RTC accuracy will freely wobble based on temperature, etc, my hope is that it will keep things closer. Very roughly we seem to be able to reduce the error in the estimate rtc clock range to between 1% and 10% of where it would be without such a correction. A bit better...

Mind you the rtc should not take 8 sec to read (it will take a couple, so
perhaps most of that time is chrony starting up), so it is not clear what is
happening.

The time difference is almost completely the stuff I mentioned. I have patched it out in my current build just for testing and chrony startup is now near enough instant. (measured at 0.13s)

Kind regards

Ed W