Re: [chrony-dev] Slow bootup with git

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:03:13AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> On 16/04/2012 11:32, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> >You can start chronyd in background, if you don't care that the
> >services started after might see a step in the system clock. I think
> >that would be pretty much the same as it was before that commit.
> >

> Main difference would be that start-stop-daemon wouldn't see my pid
> file and might assume that startup failed?

The pid file was (and still is) created by the forked process, so it
was just a matter of luck if you saw it created before the foreground
process had exited. You can add a short sleep :).

> Which chunk of code takes 8-10 seconds (on my very slow box) to do
> the RTC stuff?  I guess I'm interested in whether that has any
> optimisation options?

I think it's the number of samples collected in the OM_INITIAL case in
process_reading() in rtc_linux.c. Perhaps we don't really need to
collect 8 samples for the initial trimming.