Re: [chrony-dev] Running chronyd without syncing system clock

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Leo Baltus wrote:

I am not saying that multiple processes should serve a single clock.

Let me try some good old ascii art:

       uplink                   local nets
  pool  ---   ntp-only-server1     ---     ntp-client
              ntp-only-server2     ---     ntp-client
              ntp-only-server3     ---     ntp-client
                                   ---     ntp-client

The pool is a set of ntp-servers outside my network. Inside my network I
have 4 servers (hardware) each running an ntp-client synchronizing to 3
ntp-only-servers (chronyd instances). The ntp-only servers run on the

No idea what that means.

same hardware as the ntp-clients but do not sync the system clock. Each

That makes no sense. Ntp is a procedure for sycnchronising the local clock to
a remote clock by periodically comparing the remote clock to the local clock.
It has absolutely no idea of time. It cannot serve time. It is a device for
comparing two clocks which do have an idea of time. It is like a weighing
machine, and you are talking about a  balance weighing machine onto whose pans you
place nothing, and then saying it is supposed to tell you want weight is. It
cannot.

ntp-only server has its own ip address unrelated to the server's ip
address. Some hardware is running ntp-clients only. The ntp-clients do
sync the system clock. Some ntp clients may even be outside my networks.

The ntp-only servers can now bind to its own IP address for *both*
serving ntp as well as sending udp packets to the pool. This way there
is now way for the pool or the ntp-clients to see on what hardware the
ntp-only server is running. We call this IP-virtualization, no need for
virtual machines. This is ideal if there are firewall administrators
who have a policy of only allowing traffic based on single IP numbers
rather than ranges. Also this works with IPv6 as well. Any solution that
requires NAT is a no go as far as we are concerned.

So for the ntp-only servers to function properly they have to have an
accurate system clock which they cannot set. This may be a catch22 on

Why? What is this for in your scheme?

startup, however I assume that not all local clocks will be off so an
ntp client can still pick an other ntp-only source.

I am approaching this from an networking/firewalling/administration
point of view and hope not to introduce all sorts of timing issues which
I am sure you have thought about much harder than I did.

In the mean time I have prepared a patch to see if i can get this
working. Any thoughts about testing scenarios?