Re: [chrony-dev] Running chronyd without syncing system clock

Hi

In our setup we do not like to pin a service to a specific piece of
hardware. If, for some reason, a service should run elsewhere we just
stop it en start it elsewhere. bind() make is invisible for the outside
to see and firewalls do not need to know about it either. This is what
we do for all our services, except ... ntp

I do something similar, but it later occurred to me that it serves no useful purpose to put two ntp servers on a single clocked machine? My solution was to pin NTP instances to hardware and if they go down then they go down (do you care?) - if you do care then why not make the failover system be something which pushes IPs to working instances (so some individual instances might appear to be two servers) rather than instances which know their IPs..?

The point is that you don't seem to gain anything by running two instances of ntp on a single physical machine? (Just the appearance that instances are doing something?)

What do you think?

Good luck

Ed W