Re: [chrony-dev] Running chronyd without syncing system clock

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:02:55AM +0100, Leo Baltus wrote:
> I am not saying that multiple processes should serve a single clock.
>
> Let me try some good old ascii art:
>
>         uplink                   local nets
>    pool  ---   ntp-only-server1     ---     ntp-client
>                ntp-only-server2     ---     ntp-client
>                ntp-only-server3     ---     ntp-client
>                                     ---     ntp-client
>
> The pool is a set of ntp-servers outside my network. Inside my network I
> have 4 servers (hardware) each running an ntp-client synchronizing to 3
> ntp-only-servers (chronyd instances). The ntp-only servers run on the
> same hardware as the ntp-clients but do not sync the system clock. Each
> ntp-only server has its own ip address unrelated to the server's ip
> address. Some hardware is running ntp-clients only. The ntp-clients do
> sync the system clock. Some ntp clients may even be outside my networks.

Ok, there are two chronyd instances running on one real hw machine,
one polls remote NTP servers, but doesn't set the clock. The other
instance polls the first chronyd and sets the local clock. Is that
correct?

I think that will create a positive feedback loop and will not work
well, if at all. The instance which sets the clock needs to compare
its clock against a stable clock, not something which includes its own
clock. It could work the other way around, the client polling remote
servers and the server polling the client, but that's probably not
what you want.

> In the mean time I have prepared a patch to see if i can get this
> working. Any thoughts about testing scenarios?

I'm interested to see what the patch does.