Re: [chrony-dev] timepps.h and chrony

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:32:28AM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
On that issue, it seems that in kernel 2.6.39, trying to install a module
which was separately compiled from the kernel (as I did with ppps-ldisc)
becomes permenant when installed.  Ie, once you have installed it, you cannot
remove it. Do you have any idea as to why this would be? It seems to be a
problem with the 2.6.39 kernel.

Perhaps something is still using it? The lsmod tool prints "Used by"
and if the number is not zero, it can't be unloaded.

Nope, nothing is using it. If I install it and immediately do lsmod, I get pps_ldisc [permenant]

Ie it cannot be unloaded. None of the modules that were compiled with the
kernel have that designator --only thos modules that were compiled separately.