Re: [chrony-dev] timepps.h and chrony

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:04:06AM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
I ran into this with Mandriva 2010.x and 2011 which has the pps_core but does
not have the timepps.h anywhere. Of course what happened was that configure
found that the test program did not compile and simply removed the pps as an
option. This is compounded by the fact that earlier versions of
Mandriva have pps_core module but
did not even have /usr/include/linux/pps.h But it would seems that
pps.h is pretty useless without timepps.h as well, but
I may be wrong.

You'll probably need also the pps_ldisc module, some earlier kernels
didn't have it.
Yes, I think that they still do not have it. The source is there in the kernel
source, but it is simply not selected in the config file.  I put in a bug report to both
Mandriva and Mageia on the lack. Since the serial port interrupt is probably
the one that most people use, the lack of pps-ldisc, which handles the serial
port interrupt, is weird, especially  since they do have the pps_parport
module.

On that issue, it seems that in kernel 2.6.39, trying to install a module
which was separately compiled from the kernel (as I did with ppps-ldisc)
becomes permenant when installed.  Ie, once you have installed it, you cannot
remove it. Do you have any idea as to why this would be? It seems to be a
problem with the 2.6.39 kernel.