Re: [chrony-dev] Question / Feature suggestion - trimrtc on start?

> Enable the rtc log and see how quickly the drift value converges and
> how stable it is.

Superb (and obvious!) idea - will examine my logs

> But I'm not sure if trimming rtc on start will help you that much. If
> the machine is turned off for days, will it really make a difference
> that the initial step is only 10 seconds instead of 100 or 1000?

Hard to say - 10 seconds is below my boot time, so any effects will
appear and disappear quickly.  1000 seconds may lead to some complex
effects that I haven't discovered yet...

> Wouldn't it be better to make the step as early in the boot as
> possible and not care about its size?

Definitely.  Actually I can easily adjust my boot scripts to run chrony
instead of hwclock - works well.  The disadvantages are that I need to
be careful about offline because I'm starting chrony before networking
(or investigate your most recent updates which I think allow this to
work ok?). Also I would be unsure about submitting such changes upstream
to Gentoo until I have tested this does work very solidly for normal
users without using offline

> Maybe hwclock is better for your requirements. If the --systortc
> option was used only once per session, the calculated drift could be
> more accurate as it would include the time when the machine was turned
> off.

Probably is that the machine is never going to be "turned off" - only
the power gets disconnected occasionally...

However, yes, I intend to use chrony instead of hwclock (I don't see
anyone needs hwclock now - kernel does --rtctosys itself and I think
many distros don't call --systortc, so hwclock is mostly redundant?)

Cheers

Ed W