Re: [chrony-dev] Question / Feature suggestion - trimrtc on start?

Possibly more succinctly:

a) I want to step rtc to track real time (since it's entwined with booting)

b) The device may not be running for days on end (so rtctrim only every
24 hours might rarely/never get called)

c) No expectation of regular clean shutdowns (can't trimrtc on shutdown)

d) Dialup, so can't ignore rtc and assume we are getting a network
connection straight after boot

So the only options to call trimrtc seem to be:

1) On boot.  Seems highly safe if done early in chrony startup since it
should simply emulate a fixed step in time
2) Occasionally every X hours, where I'm hoping for some feedback on a
good number for X.  I have to assume that my device will often run for
days on end, but often only for a few mins/hours at a time.

I was hoping 1) would be an easy win and 2) could be left as a best
efforts option which happens occasionally.  After all if we are being
rebooted more often than every X hours, then we get to step the RTC more
often via 1)

Cheers

Ed W