Re: [chrony-dev] Time for a release?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 07:18:30PM +0000, Ed W wrote:
> On 07/10/2010 16:17, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> >My chrony todo list keeps growing, but I have now only two major
> >things I'd like to see in the next release:
> >- improve the code which adjusts the polling interval between
> >   minpoll and maxpoll, the current one seems to work quite badly
> >- add weighting to the runs test so chrony can survive longer
> >   intervals with heavily loaded network
> >
> >BTW, is anyone here keeping up to date with git and testing?
> >

> How are we looking on a release these days?  There are quite some
> interesting changes in GIT and it's much easier to evangelise about
> them if they are in a public release?

The polling interval improvement is done, but I'm struggling with the
second point.

Currently, chrony in default configuration doesn't work very well when
there is a large delay in one network direction (a slow link
saturated by download or upload) which lasts longer than several
polling intervals. It will quickly discard the good low delay samples
and jump to the new high delay samples to satisfy the runs test.

The maxdelay and maxdelayratio options handle this nicely, but I'm
looking for something that could be enabled by default. I think this
would be a very nice feature, worth delaying new release for a bit.

I tried to improve the runs test by including weights so the low
delays samples are not discarded so quickly, but that didn't work out.
Now I'm trying to make an adaptive maxdelay filter which would drop
samples with large offset and large delay.