Re: [chrony-dev] can chrony adjust H/W clock too ?q:q

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, J. Bakshi wrote:

Thanks a lot for your clarification and suggestion. Then I do continue with the corn - way as you suggest.  I understand as ntp chrony has been designed to address the system time. Maybe in future it can also take care of rtc clock too as rtc clock has its own importance on the system and an accurate rtc clock is always a must.

Well, no, an accurate rtc is not really a must. Especially with chrony. You
can tell chrony to query a remote ntp source and if the time is out by more
than x, it will step the time. If less, it will slew the time, quite rapidly. (chrony converges much faster than does ntpd)
 Thus it is not really important that the rtc be accurate. But as I said,
chrony can use the rtc to start up relatively accurately ( but you cannot use
ntp and hwclock together. Neither knows about the other)

my best wishes to all of you.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:08:29 -0700 (PDT)