Re: [chrony-dev] 1.24 ready?

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Bill Unruh wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

 Is there anything left to do before 1.24?

 If there are no bugreports, I'd like to make the release next week.

One minor bug report-- the chown of the rtc and drift files leaves hundreds of
messages in syslog
Jan 24 04:03:13 info chronyd[4328]: Could not change ownsership of drift file
/var/lib/chrony/chrony.drift.tmp
(I now have 13000 lines like this in my syslog of the last 5 days.)
This is with chronyd running as root, and what seems to be happening is that
the old and new files already have identical ownership and chown is
objecting to a "change" which is no change at all. I think we need to check if the ownership needs changing and to only change it
if it needs changing. Also, if the system is running as chrony rather than as
root, to only try changing the group.

put in lines like to reference.c

 /* Clone the file attributes from the existing file if there is one. */
   stat(temp_drift_file,&bufn);
  if (!stat(drift_file,&buf)&&(buf.st_uid!=bufn.st_uid||buf.st_gid!=bufn.st_gid)) {

(I have not tried this yet to see if it fixes the problem) I think this is a
bug in chown, since changing from ownership to the same ownership should not
cast an "insufficient permissions" error which I think is what is happening.