Re: [chrony-dev] pps source is still marked as synchronised when no absolute clock sources are available

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:13:03AM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
> >This would be a really nice solution. It gives the user full control in
> >how the PPS should be treated. I can bind the PPS signal to the SHM
> >reference clock, which makes it clear to chrony that the PPS signal
> >should only be trusted when the SHM clock is trusted. If no binding is
> >made chrony should always trust the PPS signal.
>
> I think this adds more complexity to chrony, when it belongs in the refclock
> software. In your case both the pps and the nmea come from the same device,
> and both are good or bad. That single device should be delivering a single
> time, not two times, to chrony. Ie, the software which reads the gps should be
> reading both the pps and the nmea and delivering one time to for example the
> shm driver. One should not complicate chrony to make up for deficiencies in
> the driver. One job per program.

I don't think it's that complicated. When we have an NMEA driver in
chrony, having abilitity to bind the refclocks will be very useful.

If bloat is an issue, we can always make a configure option for the
refclock stuff or use a plugin system.