RE: [chrony-dev] makestep command sometimes makes chrony stop reading its sources

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

>>> I am not sure about that-- ie that the initstepslew is only
available
>>> for network sources. I will have to look at the source code.
>>
>> It works only for NTP sources, it's the acquire module which
>> duplicates a lot of the NTP code from ntp_* modules.
>>
>> I was thinking about implementing an option that would allow chronyd
>> to step the clock when a threshold is reached. Maybe only a
>> configurable number of times, to mimic the -g option which ntpd has.
>> This would work for any sources.
>
>As long as it is an option, and not built in as it is for ntp. I have
>never figured out why ntp, which acts like a fussy grandmother and
>disallows all rates greater than 500PPM away from the nominal, then
>goes ahead and institutes compulsory steps when the clock is off by
>1/8 of a sec. (ie an infinite rate adjust).

Being able to set a threshold to make chrony step the clock would make
my external script obsolete, so I'm in favour of this option. I think
it will make chrony more robust when used in a situation where the
system clock needs to be maintained fully automatic, while the rtc
can be terrible off after a system cold boot.

As it is a more specialized use of chrony this option should be
disabled by default when chrony is used as a regular ntp client.

--
Tjalling Hattink