Re: [chrony-dev] GNU make requirement

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 09:46:57AM +0000, Richard Curnow wrote:
> 2009/12/7 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I couldn't find it in the docs, is GNU make required to compile chrony?
>
> It was never intentionally like that, but I doubt  I ever personally
> built it with anything else.  However, configure still claims that we
> support BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD - I wonder how recently they have been
> tried and whether make has broken on them.

I recently tried building chrony on FreeBSD 8.0 and it worked when the
pattern rule "%.o : %.c" was replaced with ".c.o:". Otherwise CPPFLAGS
were not used and the build failed.

But I think it's quite common to use GNU make for building on BSD
systems, it's available in the BSD ports as gmake.

> > Or, if we support only GNU make, I'd like to add an -include .depend,
> > so I don't need to spend time chasing weird bugs after changing one of the
> > headers and not recompiling all depending objects :).
>
> Does anything like

> 	gcc -MM $< -o $@
>
> include $(addprefix .,$(OBJ:.o=.d))
>
> work for other makes?

On the FreeBSD system this produces "Error expanding embedded
variable". The patsubst command doesn't work too. The correct syntax
to include a file seems to be

..sinclude ".depend"

Which is not supported in GNU make and probably other makes.