Re: [chrony-dev] GNU make requirement

2009/12/7 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I couldn't find it in the docs, is GNU make required to compile chrony?

It was never intentionally like that, but I doubt  I ever personally
built it with anything else.  However, configure still claims that we
support BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD - I wonder how recently they have been
tried and whether make has broken on them.

> It seems that (at least) BSD make doesn't support pattern rules which
> are used in the Makefile. They can be replaced with more portable
> suffix rules.
>
> Or, if we support only GNU make, I'd like to add an -include .depend,
> so I don't need to spend time chasing weird bugs after changing one of the
> headers and not recompiling all depending objects :).

Does anything like

	gcc -MM $< -o $@

include $(addprefix .,$(OBJ:.o=.d))

work for other makes?